|Definition:|| situation where equipment or components do not perform their intended function with respect to explosion protection|
Note 1 to entry: A malfunction can happen due to a variety of reasons, including:
- failure of one (or more) of the component parts of the equipment or components;
- external disturbances (e.g. shocks, vibration, electromagnetic fields);
- design error or deficiency (e.g. software errors);
- disturbance of the power supply or other services;
- loss of control by the operator (especially for portable equipment).